Tuesday, February 7, 2012

HOPPERS!

They ate the crops, the wool off the sheep, and if you stood still long enough, the clothes off your back. The grasshopper plague that swept through Kansas in 1874 left many settlers destitute and forced them to move back east. My story based on this terrible time, HADDIE AND THE HOPPERS, has been published to the classroom history website, hisstories.net. I'm very fond of this story. In 2008 it was the Kansas Voices Adult Fiction winner (titled CHRISTMAS CROP). This is a great site for anyone who loves historical stories!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to pop over. Have you ever seen the movie DAYS OF HEAVEN? It has an intense grasshopper scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen that movie, but I will have to check it out. But not before bed. Grasshoppers seriously creep me out!

      Thanks for hopping by!

      Delete